Friday, December 17, 2010

Lucky Number 13

Another week down (well, almost). I had the 'stomach check' appointment on Tuesday at the OB-GYN. I'm not really sure why I keep saying morning appointments are good for me, but I keep agreeing to them when they call out the earliest time possible! When you're pregnant, the doctors want a urine sample every time that you come in. Fine. No problem, except when its the first thing I want to do when I roll out of bed. I'm walking down the stairs to get into the bathroom, yawning, rubbing my eyes... and it hits me. Crap... if I go now, I won't be able to in about 25 minutes when they ask me to walk into their bathroom and pee in a cup. So I grab my toothbrush and go back upstairs to get dressed.

Luckily, the appointment was early enough that I could wait to go there! Brook came home to pick me up and we drove to the doctor together. I'm not sure how many more he'll come to though. If we're not doing an ultra sound, the visits are a little boring and uneventful! Anyway, back to the main event. Brook and I are called back, he goes to the patient room while I'm sent into the bathroom (finally) and then out to check my weight and blood pressure. All is good, except the whole weight thing. I'm sure it is fine with everyone else, the doctors and nurses have never said anything to me. My issue is just that! Since the day I found out I was pregnant, I have gained 8lbs. That's a LOT of weight gain for the first trimester! Now... throw in Thanksgiving and all the Xmas parties with goodies to eat and it will explain everything, but still. Why are they not even stressing how much I should be gaining and how to not gain so fast? No wonder women these days gain 40-50lbs! I will just be on the look out from now on and really try to stay healthy, definitely exercise as much as I can and watch the calories on my own to make sure I"m not getting out of control.

I get into the patient room where Brook is waiting for me and we wait...and wait. They made me sit on this extremely awkward low table - which is just uncomfortable to lay back on at that angle while you wait for the doctor to show up! I kept moving around, readjusting, the works - until I hear a 'knock knock'... YES! She's here. The doctor does a little small talk with us, wondering if everything has been normal. No morning sickness, no pain, nothing. She then brings this little machine over to me with a tiny flat microphone and moves it around my stomach until she finds the heartbeat. We'd find it, then it would go away - move around some more, and find it again. Baby Richie must be an active one because we had to keep finding him/her about every 5 seconds. She explained this is normal and I probably wouldn't start feeling the baby actually moving or kicking until 20-22 weeks. I keep thinking that this little thing is moving up while I sleep because the hard lump is higher in the morning and then missing in action as the day progresses. So this time the baby's heartbeat was just at the level of my hip bones, hasn't popped up yet I guess! Which means, I'm blaming all of this extra space around my stomach to that 8lbs of unwanted weight gain :o) Damn. Back to the gym for me!

I went home and started to count the weeks on a calendar to find... I'm 27 weeks away from delivery (if I actually get to my due date before having the baby). Which means, I can get back into my training because it will be a great motivation and a way to stay in shape to be training for 27 weeks away. What else do you train for in 27 weeks you ask? A MARATHON! Yep... I'm crazy, but I'll keep it simple and only run what I can. I just wanted to get a schedule going so that I know exactly what I should be running (minus those long 18-20 mile runs) I'll stick between 2 and 8 miles probably. This will be the best way to stay at the level of activity I was involved in before week 6 of pregnancy and the only way that keeps me sane. Not only do I already lift weights 3x a week, I can now MAKE myself run while I'm there too. I'll just have to stay creative on the runs because treadmills at the YMCA aren't the best, especially when all you have to look at is a parking lot and a Subway. :o) Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment