Monday, December 6, 2010

First Time for Everything!

Alright...I've decided to start a blog... finally. After three years of telling myself that I would start writing, there is no better time then now to embark on this journey. Why now, you ask? Well... as of Jan 2011, we have owned our first home for 2 years, remodeled just about 3/4 of the home in that time. Absolutly no blogging was done about the entire process, and barely any photos were taken. My bad.... my very bad. Maybe next time?



 

Since moving into this home and remodeling, we also got married! Yes, bought the house first, projects upon projects, all while planning a wedding. Call us crazy, but we love projects and have a hard time just sitting in front of the TV at night without discussing the newest ideas of what else we can do in the future :o) Silly us, you'd think newlyweds would just enjoy themselves.

Don't get me wrong, we do enjoy each other, but we work really well while tearing things apart and rebuilding. My husband is an engineer and uses excel spreadsheets to plan out just about everything. He's a fan of straight lines and ideas that make sense. Being a designer, I'm a fan of just going for the final product and planning along the way. I tackle problems when I run into them; I pick paint colors and decorations before tearing down walls. Needless to say, we work well together - but end up planning everything out beforehand so that hubby doesn't go crazy as I change my mind 20x!



 
Here are the before, during and after photos of our living room. The carpet was...gross and smelled awful. We ripped up the carpet and pad to find the original carpet pad/clay (which is that awesome yellow stuff stuck to the floors). Here is where my allergies started up. I couldn't breathe at night, the house smelled like burnt rubber and that pad had to be scraped by hand with putty knives. Yuck!
After is the image below... all put back together and we added ceiling lights! no more walking through the room in the dark to turn on a lamp. Yes!
Our newest project will start in Feb... if I could push it up any earlier, I would. I'm still working on it! We've been planning on remodeling our main bathroom since, the first day I saw this home. Funny how the #1 issue with the home you purchase always is pushed to one of the last projects. On the bright side, this project was planned out and we've been purchasing all of the pieces so that we have EVERYTHING when we're ready to start, and we're ahead of the budget. Sales have been a blessing... all I need now, is a sledge hammer. :o)




No comments:

Post a Comment